Wednesday, October 04, 2006

a week away & loads to process - Part 1 - Swannies!

I spent sometime walking around Perth last week. It was a great experience – partly because it’s a wonderfully beautiful city and partly because I spent a good time of it wearing Swans paraphernalia as I emersed myself in this new environment. I wandered the streets, cafes’ shops and parks of Fremantle just five days after Sydney had squashed their Grand final hopes and aspirations proudly displaying the swans crest on my bright red cap. I journeyed through the CBD and shopping precinct of Perth, into two pubs and a restaurant on the Friday afternoon/evening, my Swans Guernsey a red beacon (of hope) amidst the sea of yellow and blue. I’d never been the recipient of so much attention before. Curious, stunned, bemused, competitive, antagonistic, respectful… such were the gazes and comments I interpreted.

What amazed me the most though was the ongoing recognition of my courage.

“You’re brave mate”; “it takes a brave man to wear that around here” , and "Gee you’re brave, watch out you might get stabbed”, and the like were echoed over and over as I passed through the mall, pubs and restaurant. All in all, I was awarded with accolades of bravery from the Perth public about 20 times. I received jeers and Carrn the Swannies as generously.

I suppose the fundamental question is why – why’d I do that? Why did I put myself in such a situation? For the attention? For the entertainment? To try to antagonise? To be parochial? Or, because it’s the ‘done’ thing?

More later…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home